ffmpeg from svn

Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem

Alhamdulillaah, I have really been engrossed in using ffmpeg, one of the most amazing a/v command-line tools out there, for my various personal video projects.  However, recently I was experiencing a recurring bug where I could not work with some specific codecs when either the input or the output file was on a particular drive (!).  The drive in question happened to have only one FAT32 partition, so I suspect it may have had something to do with it, as using another drive for both input & output would generally work flawlessly.  The particular action I was trying to perform was to encode a sequence of rather large JPEG files (3072×2304) into a single video file using the outstanding (but still somewhat experimental and/or unstable) FFV1 lossless codec.

So, I visited the ffmpeg website and looked at some of their bugs, but didn’t see anything related to this.  Then, after seeing some of their pre-bug report checklist, I decided to check the version of ffmpeg I had on the system, and found it to be from March.  So, I pulled-down a fresh copy of their trunk via subversion and ran configure & make (I did not run make install).  Running the resulting ffmpeg binary from this compile run worked perfectly, alhamdulillaah.

The lesson is, if you’re running into a bug with either ffmpeg or any other package, then give a shot at running the latest code, if available.  It may seem like common sense, but I had underestimated just how easy it would be.  Surely, other packages may not work as simply, but it really was a piece of cake in this case.  Now I guess I need to learn how to package RPMs so I can help out the Livna project to get this latest code into their repository, which I also understand is not simple task, as many other projects rely on ffmpeg…

Using find & grep to search subversion working copies

Alhamdulillaah, I was able to write a very simple bash function that will efficiently scan an entire directory tree for files which contain a string and display those lines, along with line numbers, and highlight the searched term in the terminal. The result can be found below:

function search
{
    time find . -name '.svn' -prune -o -exec grep -inH --color -e "$1" '{}' ;
}

The search function takes as its only parameter the string for which you are searching. Three standard *nix programs are utilized – time, find, & grep.

Continue reading “Using find & grep to search subversion working copies”

MySQL Server, Apache HTTPD, PHP, & Subversion source configuration & installation

I have my webserver (at the time of this writing, the one on which this blog is posted) configured rather nicely, however, as with everything that accumulates over time, it’s current state is a combination of quite a lot of trial-&-error sessions that would be really hard to duplicate the first time I tried to do so on another environment. Therefore, I’m going to try to log the configuration I use to get a system working as I like. This may or may not turn into a tutorial-type series, but for now, it’s just notes for myself. Continue reading “MySQL Server, Apache HTTPD, PHP, & Subversion source configuration & installation”